Emily: Marcella, it’s wonderful to have you here. For anyone unfamiliar with tapping, can you explain what it is and how this somatic process helps us address emotional wounds and transform our relationship with food?
Marcella: Thank you, Emily! Tapping goes by a few names — Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) or Meridian tapping — and the simplest way to think about it is as a form of emotional acupuncture. When we tap our fingertips on specific points near the ends of acupuncture meridians while recalling a stressful situation, the tapping acts like a circuit breaker on the stress signal in the brain, diffusing the emotional trigger.
I continue to be amazed by how rapidly this tool works. For instance, I worked with a woman who had an intense addiction to diet soda; she wanted to stop, but felt extremely defensive about giving it up. When we explored the emotional root together, we discovered a memory of her as a little girl running away from her father’s abuse, loading a wagon with donuts and soda because it was the only food available. Through targeted tapping, she was able to soothe and reassure her younger self that she was safe now. When we resolve the emotional distress surrounding core traumas, it becomes much easier for both the body and the psyche to release food fixations and physical weight that no longer serve us.
Emily: In your course, you introduce us to the concept of the "heroine’s journey." What is this archetypal path, and how does it reframe our approach to healing?
Marcella: The phrase popped into my mind a couple of years ago: "All acts of healing are acts of heroism." When a woman who has struggled with food habits and body hatred decides to go far beyond restrictive dieting and punitive exercise to heal at the soul level, she is stepping onto an archetypal heroine's journey.
This journey begins with a calling — a deep feeling of dissatisfaction or crisis that sparks the need for true transformation. For women carrying heavy shame, viewing themselves as a heroine on an adventure is immensely empowering. It gives us permission to make friends with our shadow side, reframing so-called "diet failures" not as personal flaws, but as necessary stepping-stones along the path of growth.
Emily: A journey like this moves us from identifying everyday triggers to confronting core beliefs. Why is shifting our core beliefs so vital for lasting change?
Marcella: The journey is essential because if we don't heal our underlying core beliefs, no other changes we make will stick. Look at food obsession: we can be obsessed with eating sugar, or equally obsessed with avoiding it. Restricting a trigger food simply transfers the obsession from indulgence to abstinence, which is why traditional diets so often fail.
To break out of the obsession loop entirely, we have to look at the beliefs driving it — thoughts like "I'm not worthy," "I can't have," or "I don't deserve." When we use tapping to relieve the guilt and shame tied to those negative beliefs, the obsession naturally dissolves. We start making wiser choices intuitively, stop obsessing over the scale, and redirect all that freed-up energy into creative, fulfilling expression.
Emily: What can we expect to experience as we go through your program?
Marcella: The course combines guided tapping exercises, practical how-to videos, and restorative meditations that lead participants step-by-step through the heroine's journey. It is a complete toolkit designed to untangle emotional triggers, release body hatred, and restore peace around food.
I routinely hear from women around the world who share how transformative this process has been. One participant wrote to me saying, "For the first time in my life, I feel free of food bondage. I don't have the nonstop fixation on food anymore, nor the body hatred." Hearing stories like that is why this work exists — it offers a real, sustainable path back to self-love.
Emily: Towards the end of the course, you explore a crucial phase of the journey: being witnessed as a changed person within our social circle. Why is learning to navigate this dynamic so important?
Marcella: One of our deepest needs as human beings is to remain consistent in how we are identified by others. As we heal, it is vital not only to develop inner congruence, but to learn how to stand comfortably in our new identity inside our family systems and social circles.
Who are we in the family dynamic if we are no longer "the chubby one"? How does a relationship with a parent change when we lovingly and firmly establish boundaries around body comments? How do we comfortably receive compliments when people notice our transformation? Without actionable skills to navigate these social shifts, it is easy to run for cover and erase our progress. This phase equips participants to step into their power and own their growth.
Emily: Tapping has become widely popular in recent years. How has utilizing tapping in your own life shaped your personal journey?
Marcella: I use tapping all the time! I was actually introduced to it by my hairdresser, who uses EFT with people healing from facial disfigurement to help them release trauma and recognize their beauty. She offered to try a quick session with me during a haircut, and within five minutes, I was hooked.
Something heavy I had been holding onto for years just dissolved. After that, I worked with an EFT practitioner for three years, which completely transformed my life. None of the other modalities I’ve practiced over the years delivered the rapid breakthroughs that tapping did. I’m living a life today I never imagined was possible, and it is a deep privilege to guide others toward that same freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment